Sunday, February 24, 2013

2013 Revival

I haven't been writing in this blog as I became preoccupied with other things like work, studies, and business in the past couple of years.   I realized that I have ignored this blog for quiet sometime. Well, the new year has come and I am able to revisit this elusive goal once again.  The goal to be in the best physical shape in my life.

You see, I am already 36 and turning 37 in September.  I felt that the years of eating delicious foods like lechon, humba, rosquillos, dugo-dugo, kinuposan, chicharon, ginabot, etc. has slowly taken its tool in my body.  It shows in my belly and I could feel it in my knees, back, teeth, etc.

I realized it is time to recommit to a goal. Elusive, yes. Noble, perhaps.  Impossible, definitely not! I am dreaming of 6 pack abs, 32 inch waistline, V-shaped body, and having the strength and stamina of a 20 year old. I am declaring a fight against obesity... once again. ;)

Actually, I started renewing myself a couple of months ago.  It started when I wanted to cut my dormant membership in Fitness First Cebu gym. Well, when I visited Fitness First I somehow decided to give myself a month of working out and see what happens. Now it has been almost 4 months that I have been diligently going to the gym.  

I am starting to see some nice results.  I sure lost pounds. From around 234 lbs (106 kilos), I am now around 212 lbs (96 kilos). Twenty pounds or Ten Kilos lost.  Not bad.  I am just practically just getting started. My waistline has gone down from almost 40 inches to just 36.  I was able to wear some clothes that I have not tried on for 2 years. It really feels good but I know that I can lose more pounds and inches.

What have I done so far in the past 4 months?

1. For Cardio, I mainly danced.  I dance practically everyday.  I join Zumba classes, and some of Les Mill's Bodyjam and Sh'Bam.  It is quite nice that my gym offers such programs.  It might be a bit embarrassing for a guy to join these classes but dancing is a pretty effective and fun way to lose weight. When I started to go back, I felt that I was too heavy to fully exert in running. At 36, I don't think my knees and tendons was fit enough to run.  I also get bored with treadmills.  Dancing somehow develops  your coordination and in a way, memory. A few weeks of dancing made me up and running again and slowly, I was able to incorporate activities like spinning and even some running. 

2. My weight training program is all about developing stamina.  It is mostly high reps with light weights. I also joined another Les Mill's program called Bodypump. Bodypump is high rep work out that is equivalent to around 800 reps per session. A whole Bodypump session will have tracks for legs, chest, back, triceps, biceps, shoulders, and abs.  It is a complete workout that will surely improve stamina while toning your muscles at same time.  By joining this program, you will also learn how to properly execute moves like squats, presses, lounges, and lifts.  This practically preps you to tackle heavier weights in the free weights section in the gym.  I also sometimes use weight machines and work with materials like stability balls, kettle bells, and VIPr.

3.  For abs, I am doing mostly planks and modified planks like stir the pot and mountain climber. Core strength for me is more important that just having 6-pack abs.  A stronger core allows you to train better and perform better not only in the gym but also in the real world. 

4. I also started supplementing myself after 2 months.  I used Ripped Fuel Extreme. I just basically use half of the maximum dosage which is 4 capsules a day. I just use 2 because I do not want to have caffeine overdose.  I am quite happy with it so far but I am switching to Ripped Fuel 5X for the next month just to mix it up. I have not used protein supplementation yet but I will probably do it soon once I increase my weights workload.

I am practically resolving to write more in this blog and hopefully I will be able share my experience towards achieving a nice body even my mid-30's.

Here some of my pics in the last couple months. ;)

Downing a beer on my 36h birthday last September...;)

Walked at the Pink Run in October ;)

Travelled to Tagaytay in November

Joining a dance presentation at the gym in December

Island Hopping in January

Doing some effort in Philhealth Fun Run in February.... ;)

No comments: