Monday, October 21, 2013

Magnitude 7.2 Earthquake hit our area

A week ago, a strong earthquake struck the Bohol-Cebu area.  The 7.2 magnitude shock caused severe damage in many towns of Bohol destroying several houses, roads, bridges, buildings, and churches.  Intensity VII was felt in Cebu City where I am currently based. 

I was supposed to be in the gym when the earthquake happened.  The night before I was intending to go to the gym at 6 am but since it was a holiday I figured that Fitness First Cebu will open at 8 am, so I change my plans. I was still at home lying in bed when I heard a loud noise and then everything was shaking.  It took me a few seconds before realizing it was an earthquake.  We slowly made our way to exit our house and the tremor lasted a couple more seconds. Most of neighbors are also out of their houses.  Power was cut off and cellphone signals were erratic. It took almost an hour for the power to come back and things to somewhat normalize. 

By the time I was able to be online, I found out that it was a 7.2 magnitude quake.  It was the strongest that I've ever experienced.  News of damage and death was all over the internet. It was quiet tough.  So for a week, I am setting aside fitness goals and exercise.  I have felt several strong aftershocks in the past few days.  When I went back to the gym, I noticed fewer people attending classes or doing weights.  Many are afraid to go out of their houses and some were also busy in helping the relief operations.  

On my end, I bought some relief goods like water, and canned goods and delivered it to relief centers.  I also give out some old clothes.  For the past week, I only went twice to the gym.  I joined the Pink October Run and some of its proceeds will be used to help relief efforts in Bohol.  

Hopefully this week, things will be beck to normal.  I intend to go to the gym regularly and probably join another run this weekend to help the victims of the massive quake.








Links:

No comments: