Thursday, July 10, 2014

Buying Supplements

Supplementation is a major element in a weight loss or bodybuilding program. Supplements can aid people in their quest to have a better body and a much improved lifestyle.  Many people rely on protein shakes because their protein requirement cannot be achieved by food intake alone. Some take weight loss pills while others get vitamins and nutrients that are beneficial to the body through over the counter drugs. Indeed, there are a lot of pros of supplements.

While there are many pros, there are also cons. First they cost money. Some supplements actually costs more than a monthly gym membership. Second, most supplements are marked "No therapeutic claims" which means results are not really guaranteed. Third, there are so many fake products out there. Fourth, most Filipinos do not consult doctors before buying these stuff which could be dangerous since some supplements could have adverse side effects.

Supplements take a big chunk in the multi-billion dollar wellness industry and many companies claim to have that new medical breakthrough that will make you stronger, healthier, and younger. There are so many bold statements and it is up to you to do a thorough research on what you should take.


In Cebu, there are so many places that sell supplements.  One of the best places to buy food and exercise supplements is Wise Choice in Lahug.  Wise Choice has a wide range of selection when it comes to supplements, proteins, pre and post workout drinks, and fat burners. They have the popular brands there and it is priced cheaper than most stores in Cebu. 



Recently, I went there to buy something for my wife because she said to me that she wants something that will give her energy to study. I actually bought her GU Chumps to give her energy at night.  These gummy candy-like chews are used by triathletes during training and competition to help them have the energy to finish the super rigorous event. My wife told me that it is working for her. I also brought Gingko Biloba pill. Gingko Biloba is said to help brain function which will in a way aid someone who is studying.

For me, I bought a pre-workout mix.  I just want to try if indeed it makes a difference in my performance specially now that I stopped eating rice most of the day and I only have oatmeal for breakfast.  I will try it this week if it can really boost my performance and improve my energy levels throughout the day.

Supplementation could be useful but you should not over rely on these things. I know some people who took fat burners and did nothing in the gym which was really counter-productive. It is important that you know why will you take supplements and what effects does it promise.  You also need to know if it has any adverse side effects because some pills could be a health hazard to certain types of people. Always do your research and let me know about your new discoveries. ;)
posted from Bloggeroid

5 comments:

Ron Leyba said...

For me, it's best to ask your doctor on what kind of supplements works best for your condition or body. Remember, not all human bodies are created equal so the reaction of these supplements will greatly vary from one person to another.

Franc said...

I use Gu when I run, it's instant energy on a long run. It's like fuel on an engine.

Raine Pal said...

I can still remember when I am taking HYDROXYCUT in losing weight, but need to stop it because I got palpitated.

Better to ask for an advice from a doctor/ physician what better supplement to take.

Kaycee Enerva said...

I've tried many many supplements for weight loss but found healthy food and exercise the best way to be fit

Inya said...

I haven't tried using weight loss supplement though If ever I need it I will seek my doctor's guidance first. - KarenT